The Votes at 16 Coalition is asking all its supporters to write to their Member of Parliament (MP) this summer.
Before the House of Commons broke for its summer recess, Stephen Williams MP put forward an Early Day Motion (EDM) asking MPs to show their support for lowering the voting age. MPs can add their name to this EDM to show that they personally support an issue.
28 MPs have added their names so far. We’d love to get loads more signing the motion over the summer. You can help us do this by sending an email to your MP. You can send a fully personalised email to your MP about signing the motion with a few clicks of your mouse here.
We currently have 214 MPs, a third of the total 650 in Parliament, who have supported votes at 16 during this Parliament. This motion presents a great opportunity to increase this number! Although it is now recess we can ask MPs to add their names so we can see an updated list of who has officially supported votes at 16 when MPs get back to Parliament on 5th September.
Stephen Williams MP is a long term supporters for lowering the voting age; in November 2005 he introduced a Private Member’s Bill for votes at 16 which was defeated by just eight votes. Stephen’s motion is below:
Early Day Motion 2048. Reducing the Voting Age to 16.
“That this House believes that the voting age for elections to the House of Commons and any elected Second Chamber should be reduced to 16 years, following the example in Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Austria, Brazil and state level elections in Germany; and further believes that young people already have significant rights and responsibilities at 16 and 17 years and should be able to have their say in choosing the politicians who make decisions about their lives“.
28 MPs have added their name to the motion. They are:
• Tom Blenkinsop MP, Labour MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland
• Peter Bottomley MP, Conservative MP for Worthing West
• Martin Caton MP, Labour MP for Gower
• Jeremy Corbyn MP, Labour MP for Islington North
• Nic Dakin MP, Labour MP for Scunthorpe
• Jim Dobbin MP, Labour/Co-operative MP for Heywood and Middleton
• Mark Durkan MP, Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Foyle
• Jonathan Edwards MP, Plaid Cymru MP for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr
• Natascha Engel MP, Labour MP for North East Derbyshire
• Paul Flynn MP, Labour MP for Newport West
• Andrew George MP, Liberal Democrat MP for St Ives
• Mary Glindon MP, Labour MP for North Tyneside
• Mike Hancock MP, Liberal Democrat MP for Portsmouth South
• David Heyes MP, Labour MP for Ashton-under-Lyne
• Kelvin Hopkins MP, Labour MP for Luton North
• Susan Elan Jones MP, Labour MP for Clwyd South
• John Leech MP, Liberal Democrat MP for Manchester Withington
• Naomi Long MP, Alliance MP for Belfast East
• Caroline Lucas MP, Green MP for Brighton, Pavilion
• John Mann MP, Labour MP for Bassetlaw
• John McDonnell MP, Labour MP for Hayes and Harlington
• Alan Meale MP, Labour MP for Mansfield
• Margaret Ritchie MP, Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for South Down
•Adrian Sanders MP, Liberal Democrat MP for Torbay
• Eilidh Whiteford MP, Scottish National Party MP for Banff and Buchan
• Hywel Williams MP, Plaid Cymru MP for Arfon
• Mark Williams MP, Liberal Democrat MP for Ceredigion
• Stephen Williams MP (Primary Sponsor of the EDM), Liberal Democrat MP for Bristol West
You can see our full list of supportive politicians here.